The Biomedical Library now offers 3D design consultations, by appointment only, to faculty, students and staff of the University of Pennsylvania.
Our 3D-printing gurus are talented graduate students from the schools of Engineering and Design who can tell you all about our 3D printing capabilities and how they can best be utilized to make your project successful, including:
- Choosing a material for your print
- Choosing the type of printing process to use
- Strategies to help make your parts suitable for their intended use
- Generating support structures to help your parts print successfully
Additionally, we are able to help answer questions about the CAD design process for 3D printing, and guide you in the right direction to make sure your 3D models can be printed successfully. This includes:
- Checking for and fixing mesh errors
- Part thicknesses and tolerances
- Designing parts specifically for end-use cases
Design consultations are intended primarily to help answer your questions and share knowledge about the design and 3D printing process. In certain cases, we can also provide a design service to do some of the CAD work for you. This CAD service can only be provided on a case-by-case basis and is dependent on our case load, as our staff is limited. If your project is not time-sensitive, we can add your CAD design request to our queue to be addressed when time permits.