Looking for an inspiring place to study, to collaborate? We’ve got you covered. After a full renovation of the main floor and some TLC to our three lower levels, the Biotech Commons (formerly Biomedical Library) will open on Monday, September 20 at 9am.
Come explore our new spaces, which include:
- 20 Group Study Rooms (15 ready to go, 5 still under construction): height-adjustable tables, markerboards, and video conferencing technology. To reserve a room, click here.
- Various styles of seating: cafe-style banquettes, study tables with power outlets, individual study carrels, lounge chairs
- Collaborative Classroom: to be available for reservations, this room has one of the best views overlooking Hamilton Walk, and contains moveable furniture for classes and meetings and instruction.
- Conference Room: home to our historical collection, this warm and comfortable space is designed for engaging meetings and discussions.
- Reading Terrace on the Stemmler side: Biotech Commons begins in PSOM’s Johnson Building, and expands across into the Stemmler building. The Stemmler side of the Biotech Commons is designed for quiet study and provides more study tables with outlets, cafe-style banquette seating, and soft seating.
- Book stacks and Lower Levels: Looking to get lost in the stacks? We have fresh paint and 75 new carrels and chairs available for your quiet study needs.
More exciting spaces are still under construction and will be available soon:
- Digital Fabrication Lab: the spot with the coolest light fixture in the library, the Digital Fabrication Lab is home to our poster printing and 3D printing service. State of the art technology and top notch staff expertise, the lab is still unpacking but will open soon!
- Reading Room on the Stemmler side: this glass-enclosed room will be a go-to spot for events, presentations, and our Book Talks. When not in use, study tables and chairs will be available for student study.
- Design Thinking Room
- Relaxation Room
- Mixed Reality Lab
- One Button Recording Studio
- Grab-n-Go Cafe
Photos: Brian Hogan, Penn Libraries
We’re here to help you! The Biotech Commons is not only an incredible physical library, it’s also where you find expert librarians available to help with your information and research needs – from effectively using databases, to crafting a research question, to managing citations and so much more. Please reach out to a librarian with any questions or assistance!
- Monday-Friday: 9:00am – 10:00pm
- Saturday: 12:00pm – 5:00pm
- Sunday: 12:00pm – 8:00pm
We are excited to welcome you to our new Biotech Commons and can’t wait to see how you – our students and faculty and friends – utilize these spaces, technologies, and services to support and enhance your education, research, and learning here at Penn.